When I was living by myself, I often made one pot meals owing to being lazy and to save time cooking and cleaning in the kitchen. One pot meals with rice are quick, easy and filling. My process was pretty simple – take any vegetable or a cup of mixed vegetables, cook it with spices and toss it with cooked rice. So if zucchini is the main vegetable, I cook it up with spices, toss with rice and it becomes ‘zucchini rice’ or with carrots for ‘carrot rice’ or even onion for ‘onion rice’. I do alter the spice combinations because something takes over me while I am at this stage and I just can’t help throwing in whatever spice I lay my hands on – which kind of has it’s good and bad side!
Eggplant rice (serves 2 as a meal )
- 2 eggplants
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tsp cumin
- few cashew nuts
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- an inch of cinnamon
- spice powders –
- 1 tsp coriander powder,
- 1/2 tsp pav bhaji masala (or garam masala)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Cook rice and keep aside. Cube eggplants.
- In a wok or a wide pan, use oil to fry cumin, cinnamon and cashews.
- When they are done, add the eggplant cubes with salt. Let them cook with lid closed for 5 minutes on medium high..
- Remove lid and mix. Let it cook for another 10 minutes without the lid. Mix often.
- Sprinkle the spice powder, mix and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Reduce stove to medium. Add the cooked rice, (drizzle some olive oil) and mix everything.
- Switch off stove and let it stay for 5-7 minutes before serving. Done!
Since I usually start off my cooking with little oil, the result seems a tad bit dry. So I melt a tiny piece of butter or drizzle some olive oil towards the end for shine!